There are different editions of SQL Server with different features. Which will provide wide range of options to choose from to match our business requirements.
- Enterprise: This is the high-end edition with the full features. It supports systems up to 2 TB RAM. The maximum size of the database is 524 PB.
- Standard: It has less features than Enterprise, but it is a good choice when advanced functions (such as data compression, compressed backups, indexed views, etc.) are not required for the business. It supports systems up to 4 CPU and 64 GB RAM.
- Workgroup: it is suitable for remote offices of a larger company. It supports systems up to 2 CPU and 4 GB RAM.
- Web: it is designed for web applications. It supports 4 CPU without memory limitations.
- Developer: similar to Enterprise, but licensed to only one user for development, testing and demo. It can be easily upgraded to Enterprise without reinstallation.
- Express: free entry-level database. It can utilize only 1 CPU and 1 GB memory, the maximum size of the database is 10 GB.
- Compact: free embedded database for mobile application development. The maximum size of the database is 4 GB.